Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Psalm 1:3 - Bringing Forth Fruit - Devotional Scripture


 
 

He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper.   Psalm 1:3



In this verse a Christian is compared to a tree that bears fruit. In Galatians 5:22-23, we read that the fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  I think it’s safe to say we all want these qualities in our lives.

When I tried to obtain these qualities by my own strength or by my own efforts I found that it didn’t last long nor resonate in all areas of my life. The qualities didn’t have a lasting impact in my life until I believed in Jesus and accepted Him as my Lord and Savior.  Then, the Holy Spirit took up residence inside of me and I had His power to develop these qualities.

When you are filled with the Spirit you are like a tree firmly planted by the rivers water that produces much fruit. Your life is full of love, joy and peace.  When people walk buy and pick off of your tree, you don’t even notice because you have so much fruit on your tree.  Sometimes people will pick and pick off your tree. If you don’t take the time to be “refilled” your tree becomes bare and it’s painful and exasperating experience.  When I get irritable, impatient, or I don’t want to act lovingly in a situation, I know my tree is bare.

The key to bearing much fruit is walking by the Spirit and not gratifying your flesh. As we are led by the Spirit and walk in obedience to Christ these qualities naturally build and multiply in our lives.  You will have so much fruit on your tree that when someone picks from it you won’t even feel it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment